Friday, December 19, 2014

SoNG: Soul Survivor


Video: Over the Fence, August 25, 1984
Women's Video Collective. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 1983.
Music: Average Dyke Band, Dorm Room Recording, 1985.

Soul Survivor
Songwriter unknown
From Greenham, sung by the Average Dyke Band
PeHP Source: ADB Songsheets 1985-1987
 

I'm gonna make it, reality
I'm gonna take it, just you wait and see
I'm tired of waiting on tomorrow
Buried in the heartache and the sorrow
I'm gonna grab all my dreams and make them real

I got protection, can't come undone
I'm a loner, the only one
No one can see inside my soul
They can only listen to the stories told
I'm a lover and my heart will never grow old
Soul survivor, from many parts
I got loving deep in my heart
You shouldn't take a smile as a chosen word
It's the freedom in my eyes, that's all you heard
I wouldn't have it any other way

I'm a woman, I can't be beat
I got my learning, living in the street
I know which way the wind is blowing
I can read your mind without you knowing 
And revolution comes in the wink of an eye
Revolution come in the wink of an eye 

     * The Average Dyke Band (ADB) sprang up at the Peace Camp in the summer of 1985.  The theory we put into action was that songs, singing and musical instrumentation were not the domain of an exclusive, talented few. We had found that far too many women fell silent musically because somewhere along the way they were told they didn't have a good voice, couldn't carry a tune, couldn't keep a beat. The ADB, then, was the musical counterpart to the Camp's consensus process philosophy and practice - every woman's voice would be heard. We were inclusive, we were average, and we had a damn good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment