Saturday, December 20, 2014

SoNG: Tell Me

Video: Seneca Army Depot main gate, Sept. 4, 1983
Women's Video Collective. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 1983.
Music: Average Dyke Band, Dorm Room Recording, 1985

Tell Me 
Written by Fish,  Average Dyke Band, 1980s
PeHP Source: ADB Songsheets 1985-1987

  
Tell me that I’m not really crazy
Or could it be that maybe society is telling me exactly what to be?
Give me another shot of Traxene
So I can see what you mean when I hear you say, 

“you can’t go out today,
you’ll get better locked away.”

If I’m a clear case where’s my reason gone?
I don’t need a therapist to tell me there’s nothing wrong with me
It’s not insanity - life just drags on and on and on
Couldn’t you just tell me?

If I’m so mad how come I see through you?
I know what you’re doing and you know it, too
That you’re killing me, endless drugging me, 

to beat out the fool in me

There is no healing
You took away my feeling and left my body screaming
My bones are aching and I’m shaking in my silent rage at you

If I’m a clear case where’s my reason gone?
I don’t need you, the rapist, to tell me there’s nothing wrong with me
It’s not insanity - life just drags on and on and on

Couldn’t you just tell me that I’m not really crazy?
Or could it be that maybe society is telling me exactly what to be?


    * The Average Dyke Band (ADB) sprang up at the Peace Camp in the summer of 1985.  The theory we put into action was that songs, singing and musical instrumentation were not the domain of an exclusive, talented few. We had found that far too many women fell silent musically because somewhere along the way they were told they didn't have a good voice, couldn't carry a tune, couldn't keep a beat. The ADB, then, was the musical counterpart to the Camp's consensus process philosophy and practice - every woman's voice would be heard. We were inclusive, we were average, and we had a damn good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment